The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation letters read aloud during a meeting

Guest Kay Hendrick

When the President of a elected board reads aloud a resignation letter of a board member at a meeting (regular business meeting where minutes are taken) how should the resignation letter be part of the minutes of that meeting, attachment? verbatim language in the body of the minutes?

Thank you. I gather that the letter should be attached to the minutes, unless there is a word missing in your statement and I misunderstood. If motions were not made to accept the resignation at the time the letter - the board should go back and confirm the resignations in the next meeting correct?

If a letter is read at a meeting by a board member that asks for it to be "recorded in the minutes" of the meeting, is there a duty of the secretary to include the letter in the minutes, based on the request (no motion made) by the board member, whether or not the letter holds expression of criticsm or compliment?

Thank you. I gather that the letter should be attached to the minutes, unless there is a word missing in your statement and I misunderstood.

Yes a word was missing from my response. I meant to say that there is no requirement under RONR that the text of the letter be included in the minutes OR be attached to them. So under RONR you neither include the wording of the letter in the minutes nor attach the letter to the minutes.

If motions were not made to accept the resignation at the time the letter - the board should go back and confirm the resignations in the next meeting correct?

You should not leave the Board member in limbo not knowing if the resignation will be accepted (though it should be unless there is a darn good reason not to). So if you all didn't consider the question on accepting the resignation this meeting you all should consider the question next meeting

If a letter is read at a meeting by a board member that asks for it to be "recorded in the minutes" of the meeting, is there a duty of the secretary to include the letter in the minutes, based on the request (no motion made) by the board member, whether or not the letter holds expression of criticsm or compliment?

The Board member can make a motion to record the letter in the minutes but it shouldn't be done unless the Board orders it. Majority rules.

Archived