The Official RONR Q & A Forums

meeting minutes

Guest Concerned assoc. member

Guest Concerned assoc. member

A meeting of a condo association has taken place. The secretary has taken the minutes

and is ready to send them out to the assoc. members. As requested by the president, the secretary has sent a copy of the minutes to her for review. The sec. asked that if there are glaring mistakes that the president make note of them in her return email. This is not good enough, the president wants the minutes, to "edit" them before they go out. ( the pres. used the word edit )

It is mandatory that:

1. The president review the minutes before they are sent?

2. Should the president be allowed to edit them prior to release?

I thought that any inaccuracies in the minutes are corrected at the next meeting?

Please advise with regards to this situation.

Thank you

Nothing in RONR requires, nor prevents,

• the Secretary from sending a draft of the minutes to the President for her review
  • the President from suggesting certain changes to the Secretary's draft of the minutes
  • the Secretary making any suggested changed prior to release of her draft of the minutes to the association

However, the minutes are not THE minutes (they are only a draft, and should be noted as such in any pre-approval release) until they are approved at a meeting, hopefully the next one. And, as you note, it is at that meeting that the assembly (if the chair is doing her job) should be presented an opportunity to offer corrections to the minutes, even possibly "undoing" the changes the President suggested and the Secretary included.

Concerning minutes, do they have to be read aloud at the meeting or can they be printed and distributed at the beginning of the meeting for members to review. Then be approved as presented or as submitted instead of "as read"?

Thank you

Concerning minutes, do they have to be read aloud at the meeting or can they be printed and distributed at the beginning of the meeting for members to review. Then be approved as presented or as submitted instead of "as read"?

Thank you

For future reference, you really should start a new topic/question as much as you may think it's related to the existing question. It's just cleaner that way, you know?

If the minutes are distributed in advance, "usually with the notice" (of the meeting), it is presumed that the members have used this opportunity to review them, and they are not read unless this is requested by any member." (RONR 11th Ed. p. 474 ll. 19-23) Handing them out at the beginning of the meeting itself does not sound, in my opinion, like what RONR is referring to here. I would suggest that the chair might ask for unanimous consent to skip the reading of them and move right to corrections, if any. However, should even one member object, the minutes must be read aloud first.

For future reference, you really should start a new topic/question as much as you may think it's related to the existing question. It's just cleaner that way, you know?

If the minutes are distributed in advance, "usually with the notice" (of the meeting), it is presumed that the members have used this opportunity to review them, and they are not read unless this is requested by any member." (RONR 11th Ed. p. 474 ll. 19-23) Handing them out at the beginning of the meeting itself does not sound, in my opinion, like what RONR is referring to here. I would suggest that the chair might ask for unanimous consent to skip the reading of them and move right to corrections, if any. However, should even one member object, the minutes must be read aloud first.

I don't know... it seems to me, that (as long as all the members are able to read) that having the members silently read the just-passed-out minutes is pretty well equivalent to having the secretary read the minutes aloud to everyone. What would be the 'added value' of having them read aloud, versus everyone reading for him/herself? I suppose if any member objects to this method of reading, the minutes would then have to be read aloud (assuming the organization hasn't adopted any special rules on this matter).

One organization I belong to used this practice for a while -- draft minutes were passed around, a brief interval of silent reading followed, and corrections (if any) were then offered. My impression was that this actually worked better than distributing the draft minutes a week or two in advance, and better in many ways than reading them aloud. Each member could focus on the exact language on the paper in front of him/her, and offer precise corrections if needed.

This is currenly they way our assembly does it, by passing the draft minutes out and then each member reading silently. Corrections are offered once the reading is complete (I ask the members to look at me so that I can know they are finished).

We did have a bylaws change to allow a motion be made to dispense with the reading of the minutes but that was before I became well acquainted with RONR 11th, P 474 lines 8 - 18.

We are working to correct this by having our minutes published to our website and then direct members to the website at the call of the meeting.

I don't know... it seems to me, that (as long as all the members are able to read) that having the members silently read the just-passed-out minutes is pretty well equivalent to having the secretary read the minutes aloud to everyone. What would be the 'added value' of having them read aloud, versus everyone reading for him/herself? I suppose if any member objects to this method of reading, the minutes would then have to be read aloud (assuming the organization hasn't adopted any special rules on this matter).

One organization I belong to used this practice for a while -- draft minutes were passed around, a brief interval of silent reading followed, and corrections (if any) were then offered. My impression was that this actually worked better than distributing the draft minutes a week or two in advance, and better in many ways than reading them aloud. Each member could focus on the exact language on the paper in front of him/her, and offer precise corrections if needed.

Hey - if no one objects, I don't have a problem with it. I was merely citing RONR, although I did indeed offer an interpretive opinion on what advance distribution meant to me. Additionally, RONR does say "sent to all members in advance", whereas not all members might be in attendance at the meeting to receive them. If the practice is acceptable to all members, then who's going to complain, right?

Archived