The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Refuse to entertain motion

Guest William

A member makes a motion to go into an executive session and I as chair rule that the motion is out of order because the executive session request is made when no issue is pending. (side note) our state laws give specific reasons that we can have closed meetings (executive sessions), South Carolina. The request would be jermaine to a item that will come up later in the agenda. So that's the reason I ruled it out of order. The motion was made and received a second, but I did not restate it so it didn't belong to the body yet. Was I correct in taking the option of ruling it out of order so we could wait until we get to the agenda item it was jermaine to?

Our law (Freedom of Information Act) says that we need to have a motion and favorable majority vote in open, to go into excutive session. The reason for excutive sessions are specific to certain topics via FOIA. When his motion was made 1. There was no topic or question on the floor. 2. His request for the excutive session was pertaining to a topic that would come up later in our agenda. I just ruled that he should wait until the topic or question was on the floor or being discussed; hence being out of order. Do you think I was still wrong?

Our law (Freedom of Information Act) says that we need to have a motion and favorable majority vote in open, to go into excutive session. The reason for excutive sessions are specific to certain topics via FOIA. When his motion was made 1. There was no topic or question on the floor. 2. His request for the excutive session was pertaining to a topic that would come up later in our agenda. I just ruled that he should wait until the topic or question was on the floor or being discussed; hence being out of order. Do you think I was still wrong?

Did the member move to go into executive session right on the spot?

Or was the motion something like, "I move that we go into executive session when we get to topic XYZ later in this meeting." ?

He wanted to go right on the spot. I refused to entertain the motion because it was out of order. I asked him to table until the appropriate time during the agenda but he refused. I should have then pose my decision or ruling to the body. My mistake though. I just moved on to the next agenda item. When we did get to the jermaine topic on the agenda, I did ask him if he still wanted the E.S. He said yes and I entertained the motion at that time.

He wanted to go right on the spot. I refused to entertain the motion because it was out of order. I asked him to table until the appropriate time during the agenda but he refused. I should have then pose my decision or ruling to the body. My mistake though. I just moved on to the next agenda item. When we did get to the jermaine topic on the agenda, I did ask him if he still wanted the E.S. He said yes and I entertained the motion at that time.

Seems then that everyone was happy! But again, your reasoning seems to have more to do with state law then RONR.

BTW, it's "germane". I keep thinking of the Jackson 5 every time you write "jermaine" ;-)

Archived