The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Empty seat no nominee

Guest JennyKC

Our board has a general meeting tonight to vote on our slate of nominees. The nominating committee has been working for two months, but there is one board position for which we have no nominees. Our standing rules state that nominees who are not on the slate may be added to the vote from the floor only if they have given a 10 day notice that they intend to do so.

I realize that with a majority vote, we can suspend the standing rule for the night. But, if there is still no nominee who steps forward, what is the procedure?

And what is the process going forward? Does the nominating committee have to remain convened and continue the search? Does the new board take responsibility for filling the seat?

Thanks,

Jenny

But, if there is still no nominee who steps forward, what is the procedure? And what is the process going forward?

Proceed with the election with write-in votes only and hope someone agrees to serve.

Does the nominating committee have to remain convened and continue the search?

It should try its best to find a nominee for the position for now, but once the nominating committee presents its report at the meeting, it ceases to exist.

Does the new board take responsibility for filling the seat?

I'm not sure, since the phrase "Our board has a general meeting tonight" leaves me confused about who is meeting. Is it the board, or the general membership? If this is an election by the board, then yes, the board can complete it. If this is an election by the general membership, then only the general membership can complete the election. If it cannot do so at this meeting, it should set an adjourned meeting, or continue the election at the next regular meeting if that is not practical.

Archived