The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Uncertain

I understand that when a topic is brought to the Board it is sent to Committee and then the Committee makes a recommendation to the Board for consideration. Could a Board vote on a matter without having the topic sent to a Committee. I thought you never vote on a matter without discussion by a Committee (Committees work; Boards decide). Please help...our Constitution does not clearly address how a topic can be brought to the Board, etc. Our Constitution does reference the utilization of RONR for areas not addressed under the Constitution. Thank you.

Usually the topic is brought up to the Board...such as, changing a school policy. It is sent to a Committee to do "work" on this issue...look at the impact it may have on the school, etc. The Committee submits and Interim and then a Final report to the Board. the Final Report is voted on by the Board. The Board does not typically vote on matters without exploring pros and cons through Committee work. The Board rarely votes on a matter the same night it was presented. The concern has always been you don't want to vote on something without having time to consider the issue. But you are correct is does delay the process...but typically, the motions passed are not "overturned" because someone didn't realize all the possible issues associated with the motion. Our Board has 4 Standing Committees to look at issues (i.e., Finance addresses development of Budget).

I understand that when a topic is brought to the Board it is sent to Committee and then the Committee makes a recommendation to the Board for consideration. Could a Board vote on a matter without having the topic sent to a Committee. I thought you never vote on a matter without discussion by a Committee (Committees work; Boards decide). Please help...our Constitution does not clearly address how a topic can be brought to the Board, etc. Our Constitution does reference the utilization of RONR for areas not addressed under the Constitution. Thank you.

The By-laws state otherwise, no. The Board can decide without sending an issue to Committee. Unless the Constitution/By-laws state otherwise.

From what you are describing sounds a lot like the Westminster system - in the Parliament for the UK, and other Commonwealth countries (like Canada), issues are first introduced in Parliament, then sent to Committee, and then sent back to Parliament for a final decision.

Archived