The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Order

Guest Carla

I need help! What if someone keeps saying "Point of Order" about things that are not parliamentary in nature? --- ex: she thinks something should have been included in a handout, etc. As presiding officer do I still need to rule on this? if I say the point is not well taken, and explain she needs to state which parilamentary rule someone has broken), she says "oh, it's a rule all right -- it's in there someplace", and then wants to appeal the decision. Do I really need to take an appeal vote on something that is obviously not even a point of order (and waste everyone's time)? This member is very loud, agressive and abrasive, and members are rolling their eyes. She says she knows her rights and her Robert's Rules (ah....a little knowledge....) Many of our members are older and meek, and she has steam-rolled over them for years. Now I've joined, and she resents my leadership. Many of our older members do not even understand "point of order" ....I don't think they could even follow what is involved in an "appeal" (a majority vote in the "negative" is beyond some of their comprehension). So please --- how do I handle this? give me some wording to use with her. Or if I am in the wrong, plese explain why.

Warn her politely that her points of order are not points of order and that if she continually abuses point of order, you are then under no obligation to recognize her. An appeal on something of which there is only one interpretation is not allowed. Your job now is to find the page references in RONR11 and let her know what they are. Hint -- the index is very useful.

Thanks, Larry, I appreciatiate your prompt reply. I have read through all I could find in RONR-In Brief. You mean now I have to go to the Big Book?! sigh....I find it very hard to navigate, even using the index...but I will persist. I know a motion can be declared "Out of Order." Can a person be declared Out of Order?

You mean now I have to go to the Big Book?! sigh....I find it very hard to navigate, even using the index...but I will persist.

I will make life a bit more easy for you and say that what Larry is referring to is located in the section on Appeal which you can find in the Table of Contents. :D

Can a person be declared Out of Order?

Yes, but that is done when they are breaching decorum which might or might not be the case in your situation.

Carla, if Chris, Larry and I can deal with the Big Book, I have no doubt that you can. Except for Section 41, leave that to Larry and other masochists and self-styled hominids.

And do remember that you have this exemplary Internet resource to help navigate the Big Book and other self-styled hominids.

(I heard last week on WNYC, with a lexicologist or something named Pamela or Patricia O'Connor, that the 5th Edition of the AHD has been published, and I'm desperately trying to finish my first-cycle 4th. Wanted the next one for my birthday. Ah well.)

Carla, if Chris, Larry and I can deal with the Big Book, I have no doubt that you can. Except for Section 41, leave that to Larry and other masochists and self-styled hominids.

I had to look in the book to see what Section 41 was and I admit that can be daunting. But if you want to find the one that gets me into eyes-rolled-back-into-my-head-curled-into-a-ball mode I just have to look at Section 12!

Thanks, Larry, I appreciatiate your prompt reply. I have read through all I could find in RONR-In Brief. You mean now I have to go to the Big Book?! sigh....I find it very hard to navigate, even using the index...but I will persist.

Lay your eyes on Section 39, in particular the third paragraph and especially line 27, and line 35ff. Also, page 644 "Dealing with Offenses in a Meeting." Also, sections 23 (Point of Order) and 24 (Appeal).

Archived