The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Guest5

Must you motion and second a newly elected member during an AGM?

Maybe you could explain what you mean by "motion... a newly elected member", a phrase which makes no sense to me. Rev Ed seems to interpret it as referring to making a nomination, but if this is a "newly elected" member, then it would seem you're past that phase of the process.

I recently chaired an AGM where persons running for positions were nominated from the floor for vacant position. After the fact the secretary said that we did not motion and second the newly appointed member. In otherwords went as follows:

Position of President - nominations from the floor

I nominate Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy do you accept the nomination

Yes

Any further nominations for the position of President - read 3 times, no further nominations

Congratulations Jim Dandy, you are the new President

And so on

I recently chaired an AGM where persons running for positions were nominated from the floor for vacant position. After the fact the secretary said that we did not motion and second the newly appointed member. In otherwords went as follows:

Position of President - nominations from the floor

I nominate Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy do you accept the nomination

Yes

Any further nominations for the position of President - read 3 times, no further nominations

Congratulations Jim Dandy, you are the new President

And so on

Well, although it's a handy idea to inquire of the nominee if they will accept the office if elected (in an attempt to avoid unnecessary reballoting should they decline the office if elected), there is no requirement for nominees to accept their nomination. And the "read 3 times" is not a rule found in RONR, although the Chair can make sure (by asking again) that all members have heard his request for further nominations. But otherwise, the process you describe works, assuming the bylaws do not require a ballot vote even when only one nominee.

But this still doesn't explain what you mean by "motion ... a newly elected officer." Are you thinking there was some step left out in your process as you describe it?

Yes, the Secretary felt that I did not follow proper procedure, and that after all positions were filled I should have asked for a motion to accept the new members.

Well, you might ask the Secretary where the details of this "proper procedure" can be found (in RONR, your bylaws, or wherever).

Per RONR, if the bylaws do not require a ballot vote regardless of the number of nominees, then the Chair can announce a sole nominee as the winner by acclamation. If members wanted to to vote for someone else, they could have (a) nominated that other candidate during floor nominations, or (b ) made a motion to vote by ballot wherein they would have then the opportunity to write in their other choice. The only way to vote against a nominee is to vote for another person.

If a motion was made to "accept" the newly elected officers (done either by ballot or acclamation) and that motion was defeated, what then would the status of your election be?? Would that "undo" the elections/acclamations and you would have to start over? See, that would not make any sense at all. The "acceptance" of the new members is registered by the voting, or by the acclamation.

Archived