The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can votes be counting by the secratary of the managament

summer1966

Hi, I live in a Condo in Rochester, NY, last year when attending the annual meeting. There was 2 sits open for the board of directors. When all ballots were collected. The secratary ( also step daughter) to the management company only counted the votes, is this legal? The management company does not send out a form before the meeting asking if anyone is interested in running for the board when positions are open, and the same people that are currently on the board they say are running again. So most in the community mail there proxy in before the meeting not knowing that anyone else is running. They do not tell anyone who else is running until the annual meeting, which in this case, most have already mailed it in to the management company?? Thank you

The Chair appoints the Tellers (the people who count the ballots). If the Chair wants to only appoint one Teller (the Secretary) that is his choice although the rules could be suspended (by a 2/3 vote) to allow the assembly to appoint the Tellers themselves.

Thank you Chris, I was wondering if you knew if The chair person that runs our annual meetings is the Owner of the management company that manages us, he speaks at the board meetings only isnt that a conflict of interest? The current board members do not say a word..

When I talk about the Chair I am referring to whoever is presiding at the meeting. Whether the management company's owner has any rights at Board meetings (or General Membership meetings for that matter) depends on if he is a member of the body which is meeting and/or if the bylaws grant him any rights.

Archived