The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Stealth

When RONR is the presumably providing guide. Under RONR: How often (ie years, months) is it mandated that the NC convene given that there are no bylaws.

Given that there are no bylaws, you really don't have much of an "organized society".

But the nominating committee typically meets some time before the election. Just how often that is depends on how often your elections are. Which depends on how long your terms of office are. Which will be found in your bylaws. Oh, wait . . . .

that is my confusion, were is procedure dictating how often, now does history and custom dictate by norm?

I think the point here is that if you're not having elections, then you can send them all home. No point in nominating anyone if you aren't going to be electing anyone, you know what I mean? If you will be having elections soon, you would "convene" the nominating committee far enough in advance to do their work. It depends on when the elections are scheduled, based on terms of office, which will be found in your bylaws. Oh, wait......

If you all have no bylaws or other governing documents then what you all are in effect doing is holding a series of mass meetings and you all should adopt some bylaws to answer your questions (and without bylaws you would have no officers other than a Chair and Secretary). See RONR pp. 543-561 for some help in holding mass meetings and setting the organization up.

You vote on it.

I certainly do not vote

What I meant was that, in the absence of any written rules, if the assembly has to make a decision the usual method is to vote on it. Whether or not you, personally, vote is of little consequence.

They are requesting elections but in the absence of bylaws and thereby particulars of the terms were do you derive guidance

Ah, so the question is really how often should you hold elections?

There is no default rule. In the absence of Bylaws, the chair and the secretary serve at the pleasure of the assembly and the assembly holds elections when it feels like it. The society's customs in this regard should be followed unless the assembly chooses to do otherwise.

I was afraid that was the answer but I was told that RONR mandates a yearly Slate given the particulars stated before.

Whenever you're "told" what's in RONR, ask that person to show you the rule. It might be in there, but odds are it isn't (based on how many times we hear that, and the substance of the matter at hand).

David, with due respect. is the rule there. Thank you for answering to the specific in this particular.

I'm not Chris, but as he points out there are other rules (constitution, bylaws, parent organization rules perhaps, applicable laws and statutes) that might hold the answer. It may not be as easy to research those, but RONR is (or should be) handy enough that someone who makes what sounds like an outlandish statement saying it is in RONR should be able to flip to the page and point it out. Or not. :)

Archived