The Official RONR Q & A Forums

the correct procedure for covering previous minutes ( read entire minutes or only portions to be corrected)

Guest Kat El Papi

Hello, I am the secretary of my motorcycle club the Buffalo Soldiers of Columbus Georgia, and my question is how are the minutes from a previous meeting presented to the club members at the following meeting. Can I just read the sections that need to be corrected or do I need to read the minutes in its entirety. Thanks for any help, or suggestion.

Kat El Papi - Secretary BSMCCGA

. . . my question is how are the minutes from a previous meeting presented to the club members at the following meeting. Can I just read the sections that need to be corrected or do I need to read the minutes in its entirety.

If copies of the draft minutes have been previously distributed to all members, there's no need to read them at all unless a single member demands it. Then (I presume) they're read in their entirety.

But I'm curious to know why, if you know which sections need to be corrected, you don't correct them before submitting the final draft. Or, if you only found out about them after distributing the draft to all the members, how you know there won't be additional corrections made at the meeting.

Good point, I am presently creating the minutes in a Word document, and once it is complete I email that copy to all the full members of the club. I request that only individuals that have corrections reply back to me so at the next scheduled meeting the corrections can be made. Last meeting I used my HD web cam to record the meeting as well as taking notes, to ensure that I can have an accurate account of what transpired during the meeting. So my homework is what is the correct procedure for reading the minutes. So felinophile thank you for your response.

we created our by-laws to read that any corrections made to the minutes must be done in the presence of the members, basically to eliminate anyone or two individuals from manipulating the minutes on their on behalf, which makes since to me, its still a work in progress, and we are still a young and growing club.

well, what if someone e-mails saying section x needs to be corrected this way, and someone else says another way? Or someone e-mails a correction, you change it, then someone at the meeting says the "correction" is now incorrect?

The point being is that it is the gathered assembly that corrects and approves minutes, not individuals outside a meeting. So to do it correctly, you've got to have the whole document considered at the meeting.

we created our by-laws to read that any corrections made to the minutes must be done in the presence of the members . . .

That part is, essentially, true (whether your bylaws say so or not). That's not to say you can't make corrections, as you seem to be doing, prior to submitting the final draft for consideration at the next meeting. But those, and any other, corrections won't become part of the official minutes until the minutes are approved.

And, while we're at it, keep in mind that even approved minutes can be amended at a later date (though the procedure is a bit more complicated).

Archived