The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does the vote stand?

Guest Jeffm

I am 34 years old wanted to become a life time member to the club that I belong to. I was voted in by every board member without any question. After the meeting had ended it was found that I had to be 35 in order to become a life time member, now they are trying to retract their vote. So basically the Board of Directors voted on an issue that was not eligable to be voted on due to the laws, it was passed, can they, by law, restract the vote?

I am 34 years old wanted to become a life time member to the club that I belong to. I was voted in by every board member without any question. After the meeting had ended it was found that I had to be 35 in order to become a life time member, now they are trying to retract their vote. So basically the Board of Directors voted on an issue that was not eligable to be voted on due to the laws, it was passed, can they, by law, restract the vote?

"Motions that conflict with the corporate charter, constitution, or bylaws of a society, or with procedural rules prescribed by national, state, or local laws, are out of order, and if any motion of this kind is adopted, it is null and void." - RONR(11th ed.), p. 343, ll. 14-17.

Archived