The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electing new president

Guest Sheri

• 7 months later...

Would "campaign speeches" count as debate? (Each candidate is invited to address the assembly)?

(So if it's just an election, don't step down; if it involves debate, then do? I got thrown by the following part about stepping down in favor of the VP and such.)

Or is it the fact that there's nothing to decide -- the date of the election is set by the bylaws, so it's not like the chair can make an unfair ruling in his own favor.

Would "campaign speeches" count as debate? (Each candidate is invited to address the assembly)?

(So if it's just an election, don't step down; if it involves debate, then do? I got thrown by the following part about stepping down in favor of the VP and such.)

Or is it the fact that there's nothing to decide -- the date of the election is set by the bylaws, so it's not like the chair can make an unfair ruling in his own favor.

The President should relinquish the chair if he speaks in debate, and yes, I think a "campaign speech" certainly constitutes debate.

If the chair does not speak in debate on the election, however, then he should feel free to continue presiding even if he is a candidate.

Archived