The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ex-Oficio board members

Guest Rex E Watt

Our church elects officers for it's Council from the membership. Along with the typical officers: President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, etc we have a By-law that states that our Lay Repesentative to our Circuit Forum (a group of 18 churches in our geographic area) is an ex-oficio member of the Council. My question is: can that ex-oficio member also hold one of the regular officer positions?

Is the question about becoming a member of the council? I certainly agree with the conclusion, but I don't read the scenario as one must become a member of the Council to be elected to an office.

I thought the OP was asking can this person (church member) hold two positions on the Council. Can he be an ex-officio member of the council as Lay Rep, and also be one of the church officers that is also on the council (e.g. pres, VP, sec, treas, etc) In which case the answer is "Sure" according to RONR. ;)

Our church elects officers for it's Council from the membership. Along with the typical officers: President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, etc we have a By-law that states that our Lay Repesentative to our Circuit Forum (a group of 18 churches in our geographic area) is an ex-oficio member of the Council. My question is: can that ex-oficio member also hold one of the regular officer positions?

Yes, but of course that person would still have only one vote.

Archived