The Official RONR Q & A Forums

NEW BY-LAWS

Our fire company just consolidated with another fire company and a new set of by-laws were drawn up. I did not receive this new set of by-laws until recently. After reviewing them, I observe that there is no article or mention of how to amend the by-laws to add or delete to this document. In addition, the new set does not follow Robert Rules of Order for anything that is not covered by the by-laws. Our old by-laws did have this in it. So my question is how do you amend the by-laws to add or delete to this new document?

"The bylaws should always prescribe the procedure for their amendment, and such provision should always require at least that advance notice be given in a specified manner, and that the amendment be approved by a two thirds vote. If the bylaws contain no provision for their amendment, they can be amended by a two-thirds vote if previous notice (in the sense defined on page 121) has been given, or they can be amended by the vote of a majority of the entire membership." (RONR 11th Ed, p. 580 ll. 25 - p. 581 l. 7)

Our fire company just consolidated with another fire company and a new set of by-laws were drawn up. I did not receive this new set of by-laws until recently. After reviewing them, I observe that there is no article or mention of how to amend the by-laws to add or delete to this document. In addition, the new set does not follow Robert Rules of Order for anything that is not covered by the by-laws. Our old by-laws did have this in it. So my question is how do you amend the by-laws to add or delete to this new document?

What was involved in "drawing up" these new bylaws?

Did anyone actually get to vote for (or against) them? Did the removal of these two articles (or the adoption of the revision that failed to contain them) get approved by the method required by the OLD bylaws?

Archived