The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary failed to send out previous notice. What now?

Guest Loose

What do you do when the secretary fails to send out your previous notice with the meeting call? Can you get your motion passed on the lower voting threshhold that the previous notice would have justified?

You mean you want the benefit of previous notice without there having been any previous notice?

What do you do when the secretary fails to send out your previous notice with the meeting call? Can you get your motion passed on the lower voting threshhold that the previous notice would have justified?

No (in response to your second question).

In response to the first question, it's possible that some disciplinary action against the secretary is in order, depending on the circumstances. If the motion is allowed without notice, you could still go ahead and make the motion at the meeting (you don't get the lower voting threshold though, for the obvious reason).

One option is to go ahead and make the motion and maybe it gets adopted anyway at whatever the higher threshold you think will be required. If it is defeated, you can give oral notice at that meeting that you will be making the motion again (renewing) at the next meeting, assuming it will be within a quarterly interval. See p. 121 for info on previous notice.

One option is to go ahead and make the motion and maybe it gets adopted anyway at whatever the higher threshold you think will be required. If it is defeated, you can give oral notice at that meeting that you will be making the motion again (renewing) at the next meeting, assuming it will be within a quarterly interval. See p. 121 for info on previous notice.

This is the right answer... however, I was lost by the following word combination: "whatever the higher threshold you think will be required." :)

No, it's unfortunate that the notice wasn't sent, but what you propose with your second question is akin to adopting the same motion without a quorum, based on the fact that it could have been adopted if a quorum were present.

This is the right answer... however, I was lost by the following word combination: "whatever the higher threshold you think will be required." :)

.... lower voting threshhold ...?

Well, Loose seems to believe that the motion would require a higher threshold without notice. It might. And it might pass anyway. Who knows?

No (in response to your second question).

In response to the first question, it's possible that some disciplinary action against the secretary is in order, depending on the circumstances. If the motion is allowed without notice, you could still go ahead and make the motion at the meeting (you don't get the lower voting threshold though, for the obvious reason).

That was quite an edit, considering your original answer! :)

That was quite an edit, considering your original answer! :)

Well, one-word answers are fun... but not necessarily very informative to the person posing the question :). And, as soon as I had posted that satisfying word 'no', I noticed that more than one question had actually been asked. So, back to my usual verbose self. Oh well...

Archived