The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election procedure

Guest Inquiring mind

Guest Inquiring mind

Our association's by-laws do not stipulate how to hold an election to elect officers, nor is it clear what, if any, custom has been previously established in prior elections, as a slate for officers has typically been nominated and won (assoc is 10 years old). This year all four officers (pres, VP, Treasurer and Secretary) are up for relection and the president has announced that the election will be held as follows: the association members will elect 4 members to the board (not to a specific position) and then a second election will be held to elect the individual officers. The president is planning to run again for his position and the VP also wants to run for president. Is this a fair way to hold an election? The current secretary and treasurer plan to run for their specific offices. Thank you.

Guest Inquiring mind

My concern is what if none of the newly elected board members is willing to serve in a particular office if they do not win the position they hoped to serve as?

FYI: Our bylaws state in the Election of Officers Section 5.1 Elections "the terms of the officers and members of the board of the Association shall be for two years, and they shall be elected by plurality vote at the annual meeting." The other 3 sections (vacancies, removal and nominating) are just as brief.

We do have an article which states" Roberts Rules of Order shall govern the conduct of the association meetings when not in conflict with these bylaws." I have read about various procedures in the election section of the book and none describe the president's suggested procedure. Thanks again.

My concern is what if none of the newly elected board members is willing to serve in a particular office if they do not win the position they hoped to serve as?

FYI: Our bylaws state in the Election of Officers Section 5.1 Elections "the terms of the officers and members of the board of the Association shall be for two years, and they shall be elected by plurality vote at the annual meeting." The other 3 sections (vacancies, removal and nominating) are just as brief.

We do have an article which states" Roberts Rules of Order shall govern the conduct of the association meetings when not in conflict with these bylaws." I have read about various procedures in the election section of the book and none describe the president's suggested procedure. Thanks again.

So your bylaws DO have something! Thought so.

What you have suggests to me that you should try to get nominees who are willing to serve for all eight positions -- four "officers" and four board members. You can put all eight on the same ballot -- with names associated with positions, of course.

If the winners won't serve if they can't win what they want (they sound a little spoiled to me), go find someone else and redo the elections for those spoil-sport positions.

If the winners won't serve if they can't win what they want (they sound a little spoiled to me) . . .

Gee, I don't know. We're always complaining about vice-presidents who, when push comes to shove, are "unwilling" to step up to the office of president. So I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to be, say, treasurer, and being unwilling to serve as, say, president.

That said, I'm not sure why the OP is confused about the electoral process. It's pretty straightforward. List the open offices on the ballot and let the members write a name next to each one (some or all). If anyone is elected to more than one office (not that there's anything wrong with that in RONR-Land), or to an office he doesn't want, he's free to decline the honor. The only variation in this organization's process seems to be that a plurality vote is sufficient (which, if I recall correctly) RONR frowns upon.

Well, you may want to go back to your bylaws one more time to be sure there is really nothing about the election of board members and officers. It is quite unusual for there to be nothing at all.

But if there is indeed nothing at all, your proposed way seems as good as any other method.

Indeed if there is nothing at all, then it is possible they do not, in fact, have a board.

Archived