The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Change date of Event

Guest DianeW

In January our Board made the recommendation for dates, events, etc to the membership. At the January Regular membership meeting the recommendations were presented and the membership approved them. Now, one or two on the Board is changing a date that had been approved.

Our Constitution says we are to meet on the fourth Friday of every month (which we don't), at such hour and place as may be designated by the Board. Our club has a provision for the Board to take action without a meeting via phone poll. Any item of business of the club which requires the action of the Board may be taken without a meeting of the Board if 70% of the Board member’s views are obtained by a telephone poll in which the poll taker must attempt to contact every Board member. This has not been done.

What recourse does the membership have to make them hold the event on the original date. We do have a provision to hold a Special meeting but we would rather not have to do that. We have a meeting coming up this June and would like to take care of this matter then.

Thank you,

DianeW

JD wouldn't 70% of the Board still have to have been polled or attempted to be polled? They were not.

What is going on is that I was suspended January 28th for six months. The next meeting was to he held on the 29th so my suspension would be up. They changed it to the 22nd so I would not be able to attend a meeting until August. Not very nice people! But that is what is going on.

Diane

"In any event, no action of the board can alter or conflict with any decision made by the assembly of the society, and any such action of the board is null and void." - RONR (11th ed.), p. 483, ll. 6-9.

"A board may never alter a decision of the society's assembly… …unless expressly authorized by the superior body or by the bylaws… " - RONR (11th ed.), p. 577, ll. 23-29

Archived