The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cancelling a meeting

Guest Mary

When a general meeting is called, and (under the bylaws) noticed by the Secretary as to date, time, and place and the members have responded so that a quorum is expected - can the board just cancel the meeting? I cannot find any guidance under RONR...

Thanks!

There is no "guidance" because the Board can't do that, period. If RONR had to describe all the things you CAN'T do, you couldn't carry the book.

Unless your bylaws give the Board the power to cancel a meeting set by the assembly. Do they? (I'll bet they don't.)

Any idea why the board is trying to cancel things?

RONR does not provide for cancelling meetings. If your bylaws give the board that authority, then I guess they can. Otherwise, no. The members should show up and hold the meeting. How to proceed then will depend on who is present (President, Vice President, Secretary). If the president isn't there, the VP would preside if there. If not, the secretary (or any member in his/her absence) calls the meeting to order and presides over an election for a chair pro tem. If necessary, you would also elect a secretary pro tem. And then (assuming that quorum showed up) you get down to business.

Who called this meeting anyway?

Thank you for your responses! That was what i thought, and I wanted to confirm. The meeting was called by the secretary, in accordance with the by laws, and there is no provision for cancellation. The board is cancelling the meeting to avoid the censure of the membership and, I believe, to stack the voting. The meeting was called upon request of the members because of aberrations by the board.

Not an unusual tactic for worried board members... improper, of course.

Strategy: GO TO THE MEETING, and hustle up a quorum of members to go with you. It will be an entirely proper meeting and you, at the meeting, will be free to censure the board members, if the quorum shows up.

If board members show up, they have no more authority at a membership meeting than any other member has. "The Board", as such, only exists when the Board members are meeting at a board meeting.

That was what i thought, and I wanted to confirm.

Also keep in mind that, at a meeting of the general membership, individual board members may be present but the board, as a body, won't be there, and the individual board members will have no more (and no less) status than any of the other general members in attendance.

Archived