The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is it wrong for a Board to vote to approve the monthly treasurer's report?

csgrhg56

Our quilt guild's Board votes to approve the monthly Treasurer's report. Someone told me recently, this vote was not in accordance to Roberts Rules. Our By-Laws state that "the Treasurer shall keep accurate records of all funds of the organization and shall make a monthly, written, itemized report, to be posted on the guild bulletin board in the lobby of the meeting area, accessible to members and reflecting income and expnditures." The Board has always voted to approve the report before it's posted. Are we wrong? Our financial records are reviewed annually by an auditor but not monthly. The By-Laws also state "the books may also be audited at the request of the Board or any member in good standing with just cause."

There is no call or RONR requirement to "approve" the treasurer's monthly report at all. p. 479

After all, how do the board members know that the report is correct? By "approving" it they are buying a pig in a poke; meanwhile the treasurer might be on his way to South America....

It is the auditor's job to check the reports, particularly the annual report, for accuracy. The auditor's report does get adopted, not "approved".

. . . any member in good standing with just cause."

And while you're at it you might want to make sure everyone's on the same page when it comes to defining "good standing" and "just cause". The latter is often in the eye of the beholder (in other words, it's essentially meaningless and might be more properly written as "just because").

Thank you. Looks like what we were doing was not wrong, just unnecessary. We thought the Board should "approve" anything that gets posted at monthly general meetings. From now on we'll" review" the treasurer's report (which the treasurer presents in person, so she can't slip off to South Amierica.)

We have defined "good standing" elsewhere in our By-Laws.

Trina's quote from Rober'ts Rules refers to procedurally proper.

From a practical standpoint it's decidedly unwise for an assembly to go on record saying this is how much we have in our account, and this is what we took in an spent this month when the report is unaudited.

How is voting to approve the Treasurer's report "improper?" What our Board did was neither immoral, unethical, or illegal, just unnecessary. Please explain how it was "improper."

Because by approving it you are attesting to its accuracy, an accuracy that has not been verified by an audit or something similar. Therefore it is procedurally improper, according to RONR, to approve it. Nobody is saying that the alternative is that you are doing something nefarious, although that is what you seem to be inferring from the use of the term "(im)proper".

How is voting to approve the Treasurer's report "improper?" What our Board did was neither immoral, unethical, or illegal, just unnecessary. Please explain how it was "improper."

No, it was not immoral, unethical, or (presumably) illegal, but it certainly was improper.

Ask yourself why you would vote to approve a financial report that had not been properly audited. Suppose fraud were detected later, and you were on record as agreeing with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I've gotten a lot of pushback from various boards I've served on when I suggested that we no longer approve  unaudited treasurer reports however instead vote to accept it or make a note in the minutes showing that has been received. So thank you for adding to the credibility of this.

54 minutes ago, Guest Thank you said:

I've gotten a lot of pushback from various boards I've served on when I suggested that we no longer approve  unaudited treasurer reports however instead vote to accept it or make a note in the minutes showing that has been received. So thank you for adding to the credibility of this.

You actually should not even vote to accept it. The chair sit simply thinks the treasurer for his report and then moves on to the next item of business. However, the president may say something to the effect of.  "Thank you Mr. Treasurer. Your report will be placed on file". You do not approve it. You do not accept it. You merely place it on file  without voting on it.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:51 AM, Guest Thank you said:

You appear to be responding to a several year old question.  Or perhaps you are a visitor from the future. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.