The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recusal and voting

Guest Terie

A member of the nominating committee has been proposed for an officer position.

Well, there's nothing that RONR has against this. (RONR 11th Ed., p 433 ll. 29-35)

He will recuse himself while his candidacy is being discussed. Can he return to the meeting and vote for himself?

Recuse himself from what? The election meeting? He is not required to leave it per RONR, and it is his right as a member to remain. So where would he be going?

And of course he can vote for himself. I'd expect nothing else from him! :)

A member of the nominating committee has been proposed for an officer position. He will recuse himself while his candidacy is being discussed. Can he return to the meeting and vote for himself?

I can't imagine why he would recuse himself, since there is no rule remotely requiring this. And of course he is free to vote.

My question was concerning the nominating committee meeting - should the member of the committee recuse himself from the discussion of his candidacy (there are other names to be considered)? Then, can he return to the meeting and vote for himself? The name of the person selected by the Nominating Committee will then be sent to the full Board for a vote. It is possible that his vote for himself will break a tie vote in the Nominating Committee.

Is this a "no he should not" or a "no he is not required too"?

It was an answer to the question that was asked ("should he?") but it works just as well as an answer to the question that wasn't asked. I'll admit that it was a bit cavalier and I'll admit that I probably wouldn't participate in a discussion of my own candidacy (other than to suggest it might not be such a good idea!) but I'm not sure I'd leave the room (assuming that's what the OP means by "recusal") and I'm reluctant to say what anyone else should do.

So maybe a better answer than "No" would have been "It's up to the member".

Archived