The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Joy

Election for new officers was to be held at the April meeting. At that time only 2 out of 5 positions were interested in re-nomination. So the voting was held off until the May meeting when one new nominee came forward. Several days before our June meeting a e-mail went out from the Executive Board stating that if we do not have enough officers that the Booster Club will have to disband. The next day our director put out a e-mail with 2 more name up for nomination.The by-laws state that you may submit your name for a postion you wish to fill to the current Executive Board prior to the April meeting.

Question is: Can the director (ex-officio member / not a Executive Board member) put names on the ballot with out going though the board?( which is stacking the deck or yes-men)

Well, he can promote whomever he wishes for any office, but the formal nomination (e-mail doesn't hack it unless your bylaws say it does) will take place at the June meeting.

The nominating committee (if you have one) will present its nominations, after which the chair MUST call for floor nominations. That is when any member can nominate anybody (including himself) for any office.

Do your bylaws say how names get onto a pre-printed ballot?

I suspect that it has been your tradition that the names that went to the Executive Board ahead of time are on the printed ballot. That's fine.

But be sure those ballots have blank spaces by each office for floor nominations or even un-nominated people so that people can vote for other than the "official" nominees.

If I understand this correctly, the election was supposed to take place in April but, because there were only two candidates for five open positions, the election was delayed until May at which time you had three candidates so the election was delayed until June at which time two more names were submitted.

And you're complaining because the last two names were submitted too late?

What's the problem here? What am I missing?

I'd suggest you stop worrying about nominations and hold the election. Already.

The director shouldn't have done that, for sure. He could be subject to discipline by the association - see Chapter 20. But is there a rule that he broke? Or just didn't follow your tradition? If the latter, it would be tough to pin anything on him.

But... what do you mean "It [the ballot] went out to the members"? Are you voting by mail or something? Is that authorized in the bylaws?

Archived