The Official RONR Q & A Forums
mdflt962

Cancelling a special meeting

My union called for a special meeting to discuss a new department order that was put out. 2 days latter, and before the scheduled date of the meeting, that order was rescinded. At this meeting motions were made to expend funds and contact attorneys even though the order was completely rescinded. Is this a legal meeting or should it have been cancelled?

Guest Edgar

Is this a legal meeting or should it have been cancelled?

There is no provision in RONR for canceling a properly called meeting.

My union called for a special meeting to discuss a new department order that was put out. 2 days latter, and before the scheduled date of the meeting, that order was rescinded. At this meeting motions were made to expend funds and contact attorneys even though the order was completely rescinded. Is this a legal meeting or should it have been cancelled?

I don't see anything in your post that would necessarily make the meeting invalid. Why do you think it was not valid?

Just curious about how this "order" was "put out." What does that mean? Was a meeting held at which this "order" was adopted via a motion?

And how was it rescinded (completely or otherwise)? Was a meeting held where the motion to "put out" the order was rescinded (keeping in mind that is a parliamentary term with specific meaning)?

Do our rules allow for the calling of special meetings (another parliamentary term)? If so, where the rules governing the calling of that special meeting followed?

I think there are a number of questions that need to be addressed before considering whether this special meeting was valid (for "legal", ask a lawyer).

It is my impression that the "order" was a management order, which the union felt was a contract violation or otherwise improper, and so had called a meeting to decide how to respond. Meanwhile, management apparently realized their error, or just had a change of heart, and rescinded the order.

But I agree that nothing I see in the description would make the meeting improper. There is no rule in RONR against making questionable decisions in the face of new information.

There is no reason to assume that the meeting itself becomes invalid because the grounds for calling the meeting have changed (or even disappeared). However, the business conducted at the meeting would still have to be limited to the business mentioned in the call to the meeting. Whether the decisions to expend funds and contact attorneys were appropriate would depend on what the call to the meeting said.

It's certainly possible to imagine a situation where a special meeting really can't do much of anything, as a result of changed circumstances. For example, a special meeting is called to make decisions on repainting the gazebo behind the club house. The day before the special meeting, the gazebo burns to the ground. The business of the meeting has become irrelevant, so, although the members can still meet as planned, I don't think they can do much at their special meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.