The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting Running Unopposed

Guest Tasha

I'm terribly confused. A board member resigned from their position in my organization and there is someone running unopposed. Our membership does not want to automatically place the candidate in the position for personal reasons, what is the rule that would apply? Would everyone have to vote and if she receives only one vote would that give her the position? Thank you for any direction you can provide!

Tasha - first thing would be to see if the bylaws have any vacancy-filling provision that might kick in here.

Since you mention "running unopposed", are you saying there is an already-scheduled election coming up soon for this position?

If an election is required to fill this position, and the membership doesn't like the sole candidate, they should nominate a second candidate. Write in votes might also do the trick, but that could be iffy. But if an election is held and this sole candidate (no other nominees) receives a majority of votes cast, then she's in. Additionally, if the bylaws do not mandate a ballot vote for elections, the chair could (most likely) pronounce her as the winner by acclamation, with no vote taking place at all.

All of this warrants a solid review of the bylaws, something we don't do here.

I've read the bylaws a few times and there isn't anything regarding a filling a vacancy other than holding an election at our next meeting that is why I had to ask. Several members have already said that they wouldn't want this person to take the role but wasn't sure if there was an official rule in this particular situation since our bylaws have nothing - thank you for clearing this up for me. Thank you so much for your help!

I've read the bylaws a few times and there isn't anything regarding a filling a vacancy other than holding an election at our next meeting that is why I had to ask. Several members have already said that they wouldn't want this person to take the role but wasn't sure if there was an official rule in this particular situation since our bylaws have nothing - thank you for clearing this up for me. Thank you so much for your help!

The only way to vote against someone is to vote for someone else.

You can volunteer (nominate) yourself, nominate someone else, or simply write in the name of any qualified person on the ballot.

The several members who don't want this person elected had better find someone that they do want elected, and try to elect that person.

Archived