The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations and Elections- Nominations during voting

Guest johnmc14

Hi,

My fraternity president recently stepped down, and the vice president took his spot. We suspended the rules to immediately nominate and elect a new vice president in the same day. After nominations myself and another brother were running. The other brother spoke first and I left the room, but all he declined the position in the middle of his speech. At this point I was under the impression that I was running unopposed, so I gave a simple speech. When I left the room for voting the president brought up someone who had mailed in his nomination, but who he had failed to bring up in during the nomination period. The other person won the election.

My question is: Was the person allowed to run if his nomination was not brought up during nominations? And could you site where in Robert's Rules I could find the information?

Thank you

J

'In the case of a resignation from office, unless the bylaws provide otherwise, the assembly cannot proceed to fill the vacancy immediately since notice is a requirement.' (RONR 11th ed. p. 291 ll. 20-23)

In other words, suspending the rules was probably not valid in the first place. Rules requiring notice are not of the suspendable variety.

Well, there's a citation anyway (not about irregularities in the nomination process, which is what you were apparently looking for).

Archived