The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session

Guest Richard

Establishing an Executive Session to review . . . can the Executive Committee try the member in absentia?

And make sure you're not confusing a meeting of the executive committee with a meeting held in executive session. It's been known to happen.

Also make sure your bylaws give your executive committee the authority to try a member of the (presumably superior) board. It's certainly possible but seems unlikely.

Establishing an Executive Session to review a Board member's questionable behavior which has adversely impacted membership recruiting efforts, if the member in question refuses to show up can theExecutive Committee try the member in absentia?

I too sense that this question is a confusion of the terms executive session and Executive committee. It seems to me if it's a board member being removed then an executive session of the board at a minimum, and possibly of the assembly as a whole, might be needed. I hope the Executive Committee wasn't pulled into this by the similarity of names.

In any case, it's the bylaws that determine the mechanisms of discipline or, if they are silent, chapter twenty of RONR.

Archived