The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is an annual vote required?

mgreilly

The organization I belong to had voted to provide printed copies of the minutes to the membership for review before each meeting started. The secretary stopped doing it after some time stating that the issue was not voted on during the current year. Is a vote required each year to continue the practice or should it continue until a vote occurs to discontinue the practice?

The organization I belong to had voted to provide printed copies of the minutes to the membership for review before each meeting started. The secretary stopped doing it after some time stating that the issue was not voted on during the current year. Is a vote required each year to continue the practice or should it continue until a vote occurs to discontinue the practice?

The motion would remain in effect until rescinded.

That is what I have been saying. The officers are saying otherwise and have told me to bring a new motion for this year.

Nothing parliamentarily magical happens at the stroke of midnight on December 31st (or on any other date). Ask the officers who are saying otherwise to show you a rule that supports their position.

Archived