The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can any 'official' member make a motion

Guest Ken Brunskill

Our president would not allow a non Board of Director member to make a motion at a BOD meeting. Was a simple item: "approving the minutes".

The member is a registered member.

My recollection is that any valid motion can be made by any member, would this be considered a motion from the floor. Want to set the correct tone and encourage members to attend the BOD meetings (a sated goal of the Pres. & BOD.)

My recollection is that any valid motion can be made by any member . . .

Any member of the body that is meeting; in this instance, any member of the board. The fact that someone might be a member of the organization has no parliamentary significance at a board meeting. Non-members (of the board) have no right to attend (though they may be invited), no right to speak (though they may be permitted), and absolutely no right to vote at meetings of the board.

Further, no motion to approve the minutes is necessary or advised. Once any corrections have been made, the chair will declare the minutes "approved".

Our president would not allow a non Board of Director member to make a motion at a BOD meeting. Was a simple item: "approving the minutes".

The member is a registered member.

My recollection is that any valid motion can be made by any member, would this be considered a motion from the floor. Want to set the correct tone and encourage members to attend the BOD meetings (a sated goal of the Pres. & BOD.)

The president was correct. Only board members have any rights at board meetings. Also, a motion to approve the minutes is unnecessary. For the proper procedure, see RONR (11th ed.), p. 354-355.

Archived