The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to rescind election vote

Guest Sue R

I have several questions dealing with proper procedures to nullify an election vote taken several months earlier.

1. Can a person who voted against a candidate move to rescind that vote at a later meeting?

2. Can another person who voted against the candidate 2nd the first persons motion?

3. If a person who voted for the candidate makes the motion to rescind can it be seconded by a person who voted against the candidate?

4. I know it requires a majority vote with notice; a 2/3 vote without notice to move to rescind. My question: is this based on total board members (6) or total present(5)?

1. Can a person who voted against . . .

2. Can another person who voted against the candidate . . .

3. If a person who voted for the candidate . . .

Regardless of what you're trying to do (or what someone else is trying to do), at this point it doesn't matter how (or even whether) anyone voted in the past.

• 5 months later...

I have several questions dealing with proper procedures to nullify an election vote taken several months earlier.

1. Can a person who voted against a candidate move to rescind that vote at a later meeting?

2. Can another person who voted against the candidate 2nd the first persons motion?

3. If a person who voted for the candidate makes the motion to rescind can it be seconded by a person who voted against the candidate?

A motion to rescind the election is not in order. The proper procedure to remove the chair depends on how the Bylaws are worded. See FAQ #20.

What motions are involved will vary, but how members voted in the election doesn't affect their ability to move or second those motions.

4. I know it requires a majority vote with notice; a 2/3 vote without notice to move to rescind. My question: is this based on total board members (6) or total present(5)?

Neither. A 2/3 vote means 2/3 of the members present and voting. So the key is how many members vote on the question.

Another alternative to adopt the motion without notice, however, is a vote of a majority of the entire membership, and that would be based on the total number of board members.

so how does an organization get rid of a board member voted in many years hence who has violated common ethics of serving on a board???

See FAQ #20. And your other post on the subject.

Archived