The Official RONR Q & A Forums

request for resignation

Guest Andrea

So what if I don't resign officially in writing? Can they still vote me off even if there really are no grounds for misconduct or neglect of duty? What type of recourse do I have if I feel I am being wrongly accused? We have a general meeting coming up and I would like to know what my rights are.

Can a Board request for the resignation of an officer if the person is fulfilling their responsibilities and duties as prescribed in the bylaws?

So what if I don't resign officially in writing? Can they still vote me off even if there really are no grounds for misconduct or neglect of duty? What type of recourse do I have if I feel I am being wrongly accused? We have a general meeting coming up and I would like to know what my rights are.

If you are asking whether RONR gives a board the authority to remove one of its own members, the answer is no. Under RONR, the assumption is that officers are elected by the general membership, and it would be the general membership that would have some authority to remove the people it elected (that authority may be easy or difficult to exercise, but it definitely lies in the hands of the general membership, not in the hands of the board). Your own bylaws may give the board additional authority (hence Edgar's advice in post #6).

The bylaws read: "Removal /Expulsion for misconduct or neglect of duty: Any member of the executive Board may be expelled from office for misconduct or neglect of duty by a two-thirds majority vote of the Executive board."

However as I advised there really was no misconduct or neglect of duty. The fact is that I am not part of their little clique of friends so they have done everything to try to prevent me from being able to follow through with my diuties. They have chosen to circumvent me and omit me from decisions involving my area (VP of Fundraising).So what recourse do I have and what is proper protocol at this point.

Well, the general members do not see the misconduct or negligence either. As a matter of fact, most general members are unhappy with the group that calls themselves the board. I was more representative of the general members. They have been in charge for a while and have in past prevented others from being presented on the slate since they comprise their nominating committee each year of at least 3 members from the board and 2 others from general membership. Basically they have stacked the deck of cards to be against any individual that does not see eye to eye with them, even if they are wrong or do things illegally. If they are called on it, they all support each other making it difficult for anyone else to dispute their wrongdoing.

They have failed in their duties too many times.

The bylaws read: "Removal /Expulsion for misconduct or neglect of duty: Any member of the executive Board may be expelled from office for misconduct or neglect of duty by a two-thirds majority vote of the Executive board."

However as I advised there really was no misconduct or neglect of duty. The fact is that I am not part of their little clique of friends so they have done everything to try to prevent me from being able to follow through with my diuties. They have chosen to circumvent me and omit me from decisions involving my area (VP of Fundraising).So what recourse do I have and what is proper protocol at this point.

For a non-parliamentary perspective, I'd resign, probably from the organization. I don't waste time and energy fighting to be where I'm not wanted.

That said, if in their attempts to obstruct you from your duties, they have done such things as held meetings without giving you notice or prevented you from voting (i.e. "omit me from decisions"), it might be worth laboring at getting rid of them. You'll likely need a substantial chunk of the general membership on your side, having been made aware of how their leadership is failing to perform their duties. In the end, "corrupt" leaders only get away with what their followers let them get away with.

They have been in charge for a while and have in past prevented others from being presented on the slate since they comprise their nominating committee each year of at least 3 members from the board and 2 others from general membership.

So, nominate and elect someone else. The selections of the nominating committee (not a "slate") are just the first step in the electoral process, not the last word.

Archived