The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions made via internet

Guest beverly

Motion for hiring was made to the Personnel Committee by the chair of that committee after Personnel Committee met with candidate.

Motion passed except for 1 nay.

Personnel Chair emailed rest of board with results of initial committee vote. Motion to hire was made via internet all board responded yea, one nay that wants to discuss and add to job description etc.

Question...does the original yea motion pass or do we need to have discussion and possible change in job description.

Unless your bylaws authorize absentee "meetings" and voting via e-mail (or the I'net in general) then ALL decisions - including the one to hire someone - MUST take place in an in-person meeting.

I apologize I should have made it clear that we are a scattered geographically board and have it stated in our bylaws that we can conduct business of any/all kinds via internet/email.

Well, it sounds as though you might have rushed the Board vote on the PersComm chair's recommendation without allowing for discussion.

But if your rules allow that, the motion is carried.

I have no idea what your e-meeting rules might be but I suppose the Board member who wants to discuss the job description - and amend it? - can propose to do so, somehow.....

If you join this group -- its painless and we wont bite -- and send me your e-mail (via the private message system here) I can send you a set of e-meeting rules that seem to work (I hope).

Don't post your e-mail in these public messages - who knows who (or what) is looking on.

Well, it sounds as though you might have rushed the Board vote on the PersComm chair's recommendation without allowing for discussion.

I'm not sure if was "rushed" so much as it was a case of all but one member of the board wanting to hire this person. One member certainly can't force a debate if no one else wants one. And it wasn't just the personnel committee chair that recommended hiring, it was all but one member of the committee.

Motion for hiring was made to the Personnel Committee by the chair of that committee after Personnel Committee met with candidate.

Motion passed except for 1 nay.

Personnel Chair emailed rest of board with results of initial committee vote. Motion to hire was made via internet all board responded yea, one nay that wants to discuss and add to job description etc.

Question...does the original yea motion pass or do we need to have discussion and possible change in job description.

Well, presuming you're allowed to vote via the Internet at all...

If the entire board voted yes except for one person, then I can't imagine a situation where the motion would not pass, unless the board comprised only two people. Do you have some special rule that permits one person to hold up decisions? If not, what is prompting this question?

Archived