The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who-What-Where?

vadare12

Our Association is incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as a 501 © 7 non-profit campground on 800 acres where the members actually owner their camping lots, deeded in their name. We pay county taxes for our property as well as annual membership dues for the 'amenities' provided (comfort stations, clubhouse, recreation center, pools, etc.). We are managed by a 9-member board of directors and we hold elections every year - 3 positions on the board become vacant every year. That's a very brief rundown.

My question is this...when there is a member of the board (we have no term limits) that has been on the board for many years (going on 18) that is driving our campground into the ground by telling lies, spending money we don't have, putting in a resolution to borrow from the reserve fund, discriminates, slanders property owners, sues property owners when they don't agree, and the list goes on but is somehow able to 'trick' people into believing what is being done is best for the Association - that what they are doing is 'protecting the Association and its reputation' however many people believe that it isn't but year after year this person manages to get elected to the board the people that will vote the way this person wants - WHO CAN HELP OUR ASSOCATION to get out-from-under the tyranny of this person? Our campground over the last several years has gone from Mayberry to Moscow!! Who, or what or where can members contact? The answer is? No one, right? This person isn't doing anything 'illegal' as far as the law is concerned...so there is no agency that can come in and magically make this person go away. It looks like I've answered my own question as much as it saddens me to know. This person is managing to cause so much heartbreak and it's just a matter of time before our Assocation can't make it anymore due to continued loss of membership and therefore an annual rise in dues - forcing people to sell out. Sorry to waste your time :(

Our Association is incorporated in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as a 501 © 7 non-profit campground on 800 acres where the members actually owner their camping lots, deeded in their name. We pay county taxes for our property as well as annual membership dues for the 'amenities' provided (comfort stations, clubhouse, recreation center, pools, etc.). We are managed by a 9-member board of directors and we hold elections every year - 3 positions on the board become vacant every year. That's a very brief rundown.

My question is this...when there is a member of the board (we have no term limits) that has been on the board for many years (going on 18) that is driving our campground into the ground by telling lies, spending money we don't have, putting in a resolution to borrow from the reserve fund, discriminates, slanders property owners, sues property owners when they don't agree, and the list goes on but is somehow able to 'trick' people into believing what is being done is best for the Association - that what they are doing is 'protecting the Association and its reputation' however many people believe that it isn't but year after year this person manages to get elected to the board the people that will vote the way this person wants - WHO CAN HELP OUR ASSOCATION to get out-from-under the tyranny of this person? Our campground over the last several years has gone from Mayberry to Moscow!! Who, or what or where can members contact? The answer is? No one, right? This person isn't doing anything 'illegal' as far as the law is concerned...so there is no agency that can come in and magically make this person go away. It looks like I've answered my own question as much as it saddens me to know. This person is managing to cause so much heartbreak and it's just a matter of time before our Assocation can't make it anymore due to continued loss of membership and therefore an annual rise in dues - forcing people to sell out. Sorry to waste your time :(

Take two and hit to left.

Find a candidate to oppose him in the next board election and work hard (and get as many others to work hard) to get the "good" candidate elected. Have the six terms of this guy been unopposed?

In the shorter ternm, how can ONE board member (of none) spend money unilaterally (whether you have it or not)? Every time this guy does something unauthorized or improper, challenge it to the fullest extent. Are you doing that?

Again, how can ONE of NINE cause such problems? What about the officers? Don;t tellme that the board elects this guy to be an officer!!! If so, then, unfortunately, the other eight of you share the blame.

A few excerpts from your February topic:

Yes there is an annual meeting held in September at which time it's announced who has won the election (which are always the people that she backs - amazingly enough). People we've never heard of come out of the woodwork but if she backs them - they'll win.

That gives you at least six months to marshal your forces.

. . . am I to understand that we are going to have to wait until the annual meeting in September?

Looks like it, since it seems the board is unwilling to notify the membership of a special meeting and the general membership is unable to do so as they do not have access to the membership list.

So, has the annual meeting taken place yet?

WHO CAN HELP OUR ASSOCATION to get out-from-under the tyranny of this person?

The members of your association are the only ones who can take action. If members do not take action (ie, vote for other people, or have people who are concerned run for the board), then members will not see any change.

The question is whether or not there are other people who see the necessity for change. There are scripts with RONR that can assist you in meetings, there are methods such as "appeal the decision of the chair" that can assist - but you tend to need the votes to pull them off.

the annual Membership meeting is this Saturday. This is where we find out the election results. This passed Saturday was the last official board meeting of this group of which I am a director (but am not running for re-election) and the chair specifically mentioned that the 'next meeting of the board will be in October and we'll have 'a' new director'. Strange how he'd know that when actually there are 3 openings - 2 and running for re-election that this member backs and my opening, hence the mention of 'a' new board member. It's rigged - the election is somehow fixed!

the annual Membership meeting is this Saturday. This is where we find out the election results. This passed Saturday was the last official board meeting of this group of which I am a director (but am not running for re-election) and the chair specifically mentioned that the 'next meeting of the board will be in October and we'll have 'a' new director'. Strange how he'd know that when actually there are 3 openings - 2 and running for re-election that this member backs and my opening, hence the mention of 'a' new board member. It's rigged - the election is somehow fixed!

OK, you have introduced some new twists. This is, apparantly, not just one "rogue" board member, sonce you say this guy is backing two incumbents. And you are not running. So, the rest of the board and the membership, in my opinion, share the blame in letting this guy do what he wants. Is it too late to have someone else run for 1,2 or 3 of the positions? If nobody cares enough to run for office, there is little or nothing that can be done.

you're right, it's not just one 'rougue' board member...this person surrounds thier self with people who believe every single word as gospel - which I did as well but it didn't take me long to figure out what was going on...and yes, for 3 openings, there are six people running - 3 of them are on the 'right' and 2 are incumbents and 1 is neutral but was a prior board member so knows this person quite well (although not being backed publicly by them). Somehow every election though, this person gets the people elected that are being backed by them and it's business as usual. It's so frustrating to see this Assocation being taken to the cleaners and not being able to do a darn thing about it!

According to the previous thread:

As for the election and proxy votes, no directors are elected by proxy. There are two cards mailed to all voting members, one is a ballot with the names of the candidates and the other is the proxy card but is only to be used for any motions brought to the floor by the members at the meeting. 'She' always gets the majority of proxy cards and 'she' always is victorious to have elected whomever she backs - even if no one has ever heard of these individuals - they'll win a seat on the board - I don't know how but it always happens.
An outside agency is used to mail the ballots to the addresses they receive from the Association of the membership in good standing. The ballots are then returned in a self addressed envelope to that agency, counted and then on the day of the annual meeting, a designated person from the agency reads the results. Somehow though 'she' always knows ahead of time how many proxies 'she' has received, and as stated in an earlier post, 'she' always manages to get those members that 'she' backs elected and has done this for years and years....(I have heard that some of the membership will sign their ballots and then hand them over to 'her' to vote for them - since they believe that 'she' knows what's best for the Association).

I am curious if the bylaws specifically allow for this method of voting, and if there is a proper process for the selection of the "agency" (and verification of agency results).

A list of 'members in good standing' is supposed to be printed out in our office and hand carried to 'the' printer (who that is we don't know) in August. They (printers) then hand carry everything to the election agency in town. The election agency mails out a ballot and proxy card, along with a sheet of paper showing the candidate, a brief intro written by each candidate and a self addressed, return envelope to the agency which must be received back by them no later than September 10 @ 4:30. According to our By-Laws the election process will be by mail. As for the agency that is selected to handle them, it's voted on by the board. This company is also the same company that does our yearly audit. They process is done according to "attestation standards established by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants". However what we don't know is what list they are given, how many ballots are printed, etc. This information won't be given out to the property owners....what they do is get a 'legal opinion' where the Association lawyer writes up some statement about the process being..blah, blah, blah - oh did I mention that we have 'no written conflict of interest policy' and the acting administrator is in a romantic relationship with the Association's lawyer?

A property owner has written and sent via certified mail a letter to the board requesting they direct the election agency to "maintain sole custody and physical control of all ballots and proxy cards until the outcome can be announced in a public venue at the meeting this Saturday". This particular director for one thing didn't allow the corporate secretary to give the board members thier letter from this property owner until our board meeting on the 15th. This particular board member made a show of throwing the letter addressed to them in the trash (picture was taken). Then the cronies all followed suit and thew their copy in the trash as well. I have mine.

I have an attorney as this particular board member is acting as plaintiff on behalf of the association and filed a lawsuit against myself and two other owners for slander (because we disagree with how the campground is being managed and have so expressed our dissatisfaction about it in blogs on our face book page). So far it's cost out of our pocket 5k EACH just to reply to the interrogatories from the association lawer (yes, the same one dating the administrator employee).

Archived