The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How best to halt action on a item in order to re-structure the item

Guest Mary Beth

Our organization adheres to strict procedural rules, thus a motion to pass a piece of legislation goes through 3 readings prior to a final vote. Currently we will have the 3rd and final reading on legislation that will significantly change the structure of the organization and the Constitution of the organization. [Creating a second governing body (a House of Representatives) with out having delineated the process or procedures of how the body will operate--the legislation states "It (the House) may take such rules and regulations as may seem necessary for the accomplishment of these purposes"].

There have been amendments made in the previous readings; however, there continues to be questions as to how the changes look. Following a townhall meeting, where more questions were rasied than answered, I would like to suggest we table the item and create a task force to 1) do a needs assessment of the larger group--a university, 2) do an impact analysis of the creation of the additional body, and 3) create a structure by which the group would operate.

I shoud stress, I am not against the idea--I think something of this magnitude should be done with careful consideration.

Can this forum help me with how I proceed? Do I need to simply stand and request our Senate vote "no" and then propose the creation of a task force? I don't think it is an issue to request to lay on the table as I assume the findings of the task force would create major changes.

thanks!

If the rules in RONR apply:

See FAQs #12 and 13, as your use of lay on the table is improper under RONR.

While the motion is pending, move to refer it to special committee (if no standing committee normally handles this issue) and provide the details regarding the committee......see RONR (11th ed.) p. 168ff, and especially p.171, line 30ff

Comprehensive and succinct. I could learn from this. While reading the OP, I was thinking, now I have to go spend half a day at the library (or a week on the Internet) finding out what needs assessments and impact analyses are. Thanks, George, but now I'll never know.

Archived