The Official RONR Q & A Forums

incumbent officer

Guest Susan Hamlin

I am working with a nominating committee to present the slate of officers for a social club. I polled the current officers to see if they were interested in serving another term. An officer who's term is coming to an end has expressed interest in remaninng in her position. She did not do a satisfactory job this year and I was wondering if the nominating committee is required to put her name down on the slate presented just because she expressed interest? Our bylaws do not address this.

Thanks,

I was wondering if the nominating committee is required to put her name down on the slate presented just because she expressed interest?

As Mr. Mervosh suggests, the nominating committee typically selects just one candidate for each open office. If that "best" candidate happens to be an incumbent, fine. If not, that's okay too. Anyone not selected by the nominating committee could later be nominated from the floor.

And it might be best to avoid using the word "slate" as that might mislead some into thinking they have to (or should) vote for the selections of the nominating committee as a bloc when, in fact, individual candidates are nominated, and voted for, individually.

Archived