The Official RONR Q & A Forums

number of board members/by laws

Guest Laura

We are a very small club. Just about every year we have to amend the by-laws to adjust for who actually wants to be on the board. Nine board members would be overkill for us. This year we have seven (which is the biggest board we've ever had) and one person is not renewing and no one is stepping forward to take his place. So we either amend the by laws again (which takes a vote of the all of the club members) or we have a vacancy, which according to the by laws I don't think is allowed. Our board does not select or appoint board members, they are nominated and voted for at our general club meeting in December of each year by the members. We don't have much politics going on in our club - if you want to be on the board basically you'll be on it as the vote is usually unanimous by the members.

We are a very small club. Just about every year we have to amend the by-laws to adjust for who actually wants to be on the board. Nine board members would be overkill for us. This year we have seven (which is the biggest board we've ever had) and one person is not renewing and no one is stepping forward to take his place. So we either amend the by laws again (which takes a vote of the all of the club members) or we have a vacancy, which according to the by laws I don't think is allowed. Our board does not select or appoint board members, they are nominated and voted for at our general club meeting in December of each year by the members. We don't have much politics going on in our club - if you want to be on the board basically you'll be on it as the vote is usually unanimous by the members.

You can make the bylaws say what you want them to say provided that they don't conflict with a superior rule or law.

Review Chris' answer again -- you can do what you want; but think through the possible consequences very carefully (and consider what might happen if things are less harmonious in the future in your organization).

Well, you could (by amending the bylaws of course) reduce the size of the board to five or even three members. Or you could eliminate the board entirely.

Some bylaws state a range of numbers for the size of the board (e.g. "no less than three and no more than nine"), though I'm not too fond of this idea. But it beats the idea of letting the board decide for itself.

This is backwards. The board is a deliberative body, not an expandable work party. It has the important responsibility of making decisions on behalf of your whole club. So figure out how many board members you really need to do the best job, put that number in your bylaws, and elect the best candidates.

This is backwards. The board is a deliberative body, not an expandable work party. It has the important responsibility of making decisions on behalf of your whole club. So figure out how many board members you really need to do the best job, put that number in your bylaws, and elect the best candidates.

While I agree with that - it doesn't happen in our club. We can't force someone to be on the board if they don't want to be. Can't make a member accept a nomination. We have very active members, but they don't want to be on the board. We have a position to fill now and no one is stepping forward. What do you do when there is a vacancy that can't be filled?

While I agree with that - it doesn't happen in our club. We can't force someone to be on the board if they don't want to be.

Of course not. But in my opinion, it's really a bother amending your bylaws every year to accommodate whoever happens to feel like being on the board. So why not reduce to the number you can reliably recruit and be done with it? If members think it's too "political" to run against each other for office, they can still contribute by joining board committees.

We can't force someone to be on the board if they don't want to be. Can't make a member accept a nomination.

Actually some organizations do. They include among the duties of membership, that a member will serve in any office to which they are elected. I guess you could say that they don't have to accept the nomination, but if they're elected anyway, they have to serve (or resign from the organization).

Archived