The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointment of an Officer

dedrake

The election was completed. No one ran for that office. The person who held the position previously (Recording Secretary), did not want to run again. Conseqently, the position remains vacant. I as Chair would like to appoint someone to fill the position. Our bylaws state that I can. What is the proper wording and response from the members to appoint someone. I do have someone in mind.

The election was held a week ago, the ballots were counted, the winners were announced. The incumbents gave up their seats and passed their materials to the new Officers. The election process is now over. I have one vacant seat that I need to fill. I as Chair would like to appoint someone to fill the position. Our bylaws state that I can. What is the proper wording and response from the members to appoint someone. I do have someone in mind.

The election was completed. No one ran for that office. The person who held the position previously (Recording Secretary), did not want to run again. Conseqently, the position remains vacant. I as Chair would like to appoint someone to fill the position. Our bylaws state that I can. What is the proper wording and response from the members to appoint someone. I do have someone in mind.

If the election for the position of Recording Secretary was a scheduled election according to your bylaws, then you must complete the election process. You do not have a "vacancy" in that position, and as such it is not yours to fill. If you have someone in mind who will accept the position, you need to hold another election (probably at your next general membership meeting, assuming it will be within the next quarter), arrange to have that person nominated, and then conduct the election vote.

I as Chair would like to appoint someone to fill the position. Our bylaws state that I can.

Are you sure?

What I and Trina and Mr. Foulkes are suggesting is that your authority is likely (but not necessarily) limited to filling "mid-term" vacancies and what you have in this instance is an incomplete election. The two situations are not the same.

Now it's possible that you have the (somewhat unusual) authority to complete an election but the odds are against it. So double-check those bylaws.

Edgar, I plan to do that. However do I simply say that I want to appoint _______ to the position of Recording Secretary and ask for a motion to accept with a second?

No. If you have the power of appointment, all you have to do is announce your choice at the next meeting so it may be recorded in the minutes.

What the other posters are getting at is this: You are thinking of "election process" as a single thing, but in fact the process consists of an individual election for every office that is terming out. If no one runs for recording secretary, then the election for that office is incomplete. It's not considered a vacancy in the usual sense of an officer quitting (or getting booted) before the term is up.

If you have someone who is now interested in filling the psoition that is vacant, the check the By-laws about Special meetings of the group authorised to elect the Officers in the first place. If special meetings are allowed, then the gourp in question should have a meeting to elect the person to the vacant position. This assumes that the By-laws do not specifically give you the power to appoint someone to a position that no one was elected to in the first place - what does the By-law in question speicfically state?

I almost agree with Mr. R. Ed.

A special meeting (or, as it is put in some parts of Ontario, a Special meeting) might be needed here only if the organization does not have frequent-enough regular meetings. (This is what Mr. Foulkes said, in post 11, and as Guest Edgar emphasized, &c.)

It is highly likely that you are misinterpreting your bylaws.

Note well that you do not currently have a "vacancy" in that office, because the term of office expired, and you failed to elect someone to fill it. A vacancy occurs when someone leaves office before the end of their term, and there is some portion of unexpired term to fill (often by appointment). You don't have that.situation, because there is no unexpired term until the term begins, and it did not.

The fact that nobody "ran" for office does not relieve the assembly of its responsibility to elect someone. If there were no nominees, and no volunteers, you could have passed out blank pieces of paper and voted (and voted) until someone received a majority vote.

And since your election (for that office at least) is technically incomplete, it's not too late to complete it, and have whoever it is that you "have in mind" run for the office legitimately. Vacancy-filling powers in your bylaws do not apply to this situation. Your bylaws would have to contain incomplete-election-completing powers, which would be rare indeed. Remotely possible, but rare.

Archived