The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending minutes due to invalid motion

aslspud

A motion to increase membership dues was passed by majority members present at June meeting. In July, we were informed by National organization that because we included a new category of members along with that inclusive motion that it was deemed invalid. We contacted all members and issued refunds to those that paid...

We need to amend our minutes to reflect the invalid vote. I THINK we simply make a motion to amend June meeting based on invalid motion and say something like, " a. Motion to amend minutes to accurately reflect invalid motion for dues increase that was previously adopted. Move by________________ Seconded by _______________ ??

The June minutes should only reflect what happened at the June meeting. If you all found out the motion was invalid at the July meeting then that fact should be included in the July minutes only (the June minutes shouldn't be amended because they are accurate as of what happened at the June meeting).

Thanks Chris, there was no July meeting that is just when National contacted us and told us we were incorrect in how we performed the motion and needed to overturn the decision. Today is the next meeting, while I realize we cannot change History, I thought I should make a note under that Motion in the June meeting minutes to reflect that the motion was deemed invalid in July? An annual report is sent to National in October and it will end with the June meeting, if people read it, they will assume the motion passed and was implemented. I do have a motion to amend the June meeting for today, along with some explanation. Just unsure what to edit in June.

-Thanks,

I thought I should make a note under that Motion in the June meeting minutes to reflect that the motion was deemed invalid in July?

A note in the margin would not be inappropriate but it's best not to add anything to the body of the text of the minutes that doesn't belong there.

Thanks Chris, there was no July meeting that is just when National contacted us and told us we were incorrect in how we performed the motion and needed to overturn the decision. Today is the next meeting, while I realize we cannot change History, I thought I should make a note under that Motion in the June meeting minutes to reflect that the motion was deemed invalid in July? An annual report is sent to National in October and it will end with the June meeting, if people read it, they will assume the motion passed and was implemented. I do have a motion to amend the June meeting for today, along with some explanation. Just unsure what to edit in June.

-Thanks,

Leave the June minutes alone. They should reflect what happened at that meeting and nothing else.

At your meeting today, a point of order may be raised concerning the validity of the motion adopted in June. That point of order should be ruled upon, which ruling may be appealed. What happens in this connection will all appear in the minutes of today's meeting.

Thank you for the feedback, the motion however as I stated above was deemed invalid because we did not follow the bylaws. Therefore there is no need to bring up a point of order. I was advised to add the note on the June meeting minutes underneath the motion in red just to flag it. During todays meeting we voted the accept the amended minutes. All present thought that was fair and made the most sense. We are such a small non-profit, but I assume if our National organization has an issue with it they will let us know. Hoping our bylaws chair wont miss another meeting!

-still learning

I was advised to add the note on the June meeting minutes underneath the motion in red just to flag it. During todays meeting we voted the accept the amended minutes. All present thought that was fair and made the most sense.

Indeed, you achieved the effect of acknowledging, in a meeting, the invalidity of the motion. But you didn't do it according to Robert's, if that's what you're trying to learn.

Thank you for the feedback, the motion however as I stated above was deemed invalid because we did not follow the bylaws. Therefore there is no need to bring up a point of order.

-still learning

Of course there is. You can't "deem" things invalid outside the context of a meeting, and the way you deem them invalid inside a meeting is to raise a point of order that they violate the bylaws.

I have no idea what you're doing, but it's certainly not by Robert's Rules.

Archived