The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meeting called by Board

Guest Bill Allen

After the VP of our Board phoned members, he was able to convince 50 +1% that calling for a Special Meeting is necessary to attend to important business. Upon learning that the BOD wanted to call for a Special Meeting, the President decided to make phone calls to convince the members that the Special Meeting was not necessary. In the mean time, the Secretary made a formal written request to have the President call for the meeting based upon the VP's earlier tally of BOD members agreeing that a Special Meeting is in order. Our ByLaws do not give the President the authority to call BOD members to poll them or change their minds regarding calling a Special Meeting. How should the BOD handle this? Our Bylaws simply state that is a majority of the BOD requests a Special Meeting to be called then the President must call for it.

. . . he was able to convince 50 +1% . . .

Our Bylaws simply state that if a majority of the BOD . . .

Note that "50%+1" (not "50+1%") is not necessarily the same thing as a majority (i.e. more than half). Hopefully, your bylaws refer to the latter, not the former.

The VP had the Treasurer sent an official notice to the President requesting that a Special Meeting be called. In that notice, there was a listing of BOD member's names identifying the required simple majority, who were in support for calling the Special Meeting. This notice to the President was cc'd to all members of the BOD. Thus, the entire BOD is aware of the Special Meeting date/ time and place. The President is not in agreement and does not want the BOD to address the business that was listed on the agenda. The President is insisting that she refuses to officially call for the meeting... Despite the entire BOD receiving the notice and agenda.

The President is insisting that she refuses to officially call for the meeting...

Sounds like it might be time for a new president (though you may have to wait for next regular meeting of the general membership). See FAQ #20.

Perhaps the mere threat of removal will bring your president to his senses.

Since the president evidently is female, this will be difficult. Or confusing.

Good point. And that certainly explains this president's irrational behavior. Though I still suspect that the "senses" she might come to would be male [emoticon implied].

Good point. And that certainly explains this president's irrational behavior. Though I still suspect that the "senses" she might come to would be male [emoticon implied].

Speaking as a member of this "irrational" gender, I think that required somewhat more than an implied emoticon. Where did that horrified face go? :blink:

Archived