The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rev Ed

Based on a recent topic discussed on this forum, I thought that I would ask a specific question about pro tem positions:

If there is a vacancy in a position (for example, the Secretary), could the Board not 'appoint' a Secretary pro tem until such time as the position is filled? As the election of a position would require notice, it could be two or three months before the vacancy is filled and if someone is willing to hold office for those meetings why not simply pass a motion such as "Until the position of ____ is filled, John Doe will act as _____ pro tem."

. . . why not simply pass a motion such as "Until the position of ____ is filled, John Doe will act as _____ pro tem."

Because such a motion very likely conflicts with the bylaws. Pro tem positions apply only to those serving at meetings in the absence of the presiding officer and/or the secretary.

Based on a recent topic discussed on this forum, I thought that I would ask a specific question about pro tem positions:

If there is a vacancy in a position (for example, the Secretary), could the Board not 'appoint' a Secretary pro tem until such time as the position is filled? As the election of a position would require notice, it could be two or three months before the vacancy is filled and if someone is willing to hold office for those meetings why not simply pass a motion such as "Until the position of ____ is filled, John Doe will act as _____ pro tem."

You can elect a Secretary pro tem beyond the current session, but this motion will require previous notice as well. RONR (11th ed.), p. 88, ll. 26-35. I realize that citation talks about a chairman pro tem but I can't see a reason why it would not apply to a Secretary pro tem as well.

Okay - just thought it was an idea.

Not necessarily a bad idea just not in accord with RONR. But if someone indeed is willing to perfomr the duty for several meetings until a new secretary can be elected, it probably won't take much time to elect that same person at the beginning of each meeting. There probably won't be a lot of competition for the job.

A secretary's "pro tem" service is a bit different than any other officer's "pro tem" service in that it extends past the end of the meeting to allow opportunity for the physical writing up of the minutes.

But as long as that is understood (or you pretend that the secretary is busy writing the minutes moment by moment "as it happens" and writes "The meeting adjourned at 10:15 PM" at the same instant as the presiding officer speaks those words) there should be no difficulty. But once the minutes are finished the secretary's "pro-tem-hood" comes to an end.

Archived