The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VP status after filling vacant Prez position

Guest Lee

Recently the President resigned and the sitting VP, who still has another year on his term, assumed the President position. The BOD then appointed someone to fill the VP position. After elections, a new President was elected. What is the status of the VP? Does he retain his former position or does the person appointed by the BOD keep that seat?

To my thinking, the VP who filled the President position was voted in by the membership and was only performing his duties in stepping up to the vacant President position. The appointed VP was not elected by the membership and should be a temporary position. It seems proper that the elected VP should retain his seat for the duration of his term and the "appointed" VP should step down.

I cannot find info in Roberts Rules on this. Does anyone know of any precedence or ruling on such a thing?

It seems proper that the elected VP should retain his seat for the duration of his term and the "appointed" VP should step down.

It may seem proper to you but that's not how it works in RONR-Land.

The new president (the former vice-president) has no claim on his former office. He serves as president until the end of the president's term and the newly-appointed vice-president serves until the end of the vice-president's term.

When your president vacated office, your vice-president became president for the remainder of the term. Then you had a vacancy in the office of vice-president, which your board filled. (Do they have this power per the bylaws?) Now that you have elected a new president, your former VP and president is an ex-officer. There is no effect on the current vice-president.

To clarify...the elected VP was not elected as the Prez. So we have an elected President and an appointed VP? The elected VP is out?

Generally speaking, unless some bylaw or rule says otherwise, how the person got into the office is of no matter. The President is the President and the Vice-President is the Vice-President, whether elected or appointed to fill a vacancy, or in the case of the VP becoming the President upon the latter's mid-term departure, by parliamentary rule.

Hang on.

When elections came up, what happened? I presume all offices were open for election or reëlection at that time, right? So:

Did the new president (former VP) run for president and lose? If so, he's no longer president.

Did the new president (former VP) run for vice president? If not, he certainly not vice president.

Did he run for VP and lose? If so, he's certainly not vice president.

But what about the person appointed as vice president? He's not vice-president for life either. He has to stand for election when elections come up, just like the president and everyone else. So why do you call him the appointed VP? At this point, after elections, he should be the elected VP, or not VP at all.

When elections came up, what happened? I presume all offices were open for election or re-election at that time, right?

Actually, it seemed to me that the terms of office for president and vice-president were staggered (perhaps via the not uncommon "odd and even year" method).

Archived