The Official RONR Q & A Forums

non-member seated with members and motioning/presiding

Guest Dusty

I sit on two boards (newly appointed to both). Both boards have a curious and similar problem: both have non-members sitting with the members, not in the gallery, and these individuals "gab" during the meeting, cut-off members, one has twice directed the members to do an e-mail vote (these are public/government boards), both have effectively tried (successfully) to preside over the meeting.

Needless to say, both board chairs are derelict in their duties, and the members of both boards don't recognize, or care, or have the willingness to speak up.

I am new to both boards, and as such have been attempting to get a feel for things, including member preferences, knowledge, and intentions.

I am reluctant to call out the chairs and/or the non-members usurping authority without knowing there will be some support.

Here is the question:

What manner would one recommend to address the non-members. I wish them to stop interrupting/controlling the meetings, as well as to take their place in the gallery along with other non-members.

A working relationship with these non-members must be maintained. One is the executive counterpart to the board; the other board has "staff" that "invades" the board--anywhere from 3-8 staffers compared to an approximate 9 member board.

What manner would one recommend to address the non-members. I wish them to stop interrupting/controlling the meetings, as well as to take their place in the gallery along with other non-members.

It would be in order to raise a question of privilege of the assembly as a whole when disturbance occurs. You could also move to go into executive session (unless other rules or laws prohibit it), or you could offer a main motion to establish a rule that all nonmembers must be seated in the gallery.

On the other hand, whenever the rules are violated, members can and should raise a point of order, pointing out the violation.

It may seem fruitless to try, but if you don't, then you're not really being part of the solution. I'm not saying it's profitable to beat your head against a brick wall, but sometimes it is the case that the other members aren't apathetic, they just don't know the rules, or that there's any remedy for the way things are. Sometimes all it takes is one person to speak up. You might find yourself with more support than you think.

And if not, well at least you tried. And can try again.

Thank you all for your responses. They are all helpful. I have found, by speaking with the respective board members privately, that many do not like the way things are, but do not know better or how to address it or are too inhibited--due to political fall-out--to address the issues. Unfortunately, there are members that are satisfied with the way things are--for political reasons.

I have found, by speaking with the respective board members privately, that many do not like the way things are......

Then they should do something about that.

... but [they] do not know better or how to address it...

That can be fixed.

.... or are too inhibited--due to political fall-out--to address the issues.

Well, now ya got a problem. But once they've "had enough", that can change too. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
...many do not like the way things are, but do not know better or how to address it or are too inhibited--due to political fall-out--to address the issues.

"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing up the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning."
--Frederick Douglass

Archived