The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections and Term Limits

Steve J

What do the bylaws specify? Do they differentiate between being elected to the position or assuming the position as in your example? To prevent this from happening on a repeated basis since it sounds like you contemplate removal of the person being discussed, I would suggest that you specify 'elected' service vs 'appointed' service.

Can he run for another 3 year term despite the fact he can only serve less than 2 years of the term due to the term limits?

Well, it depends on the precise wording of your term limits. Is it "six years" or is it "two terms"? In any case, in RONR-Land, if a person has served more than half a term he is considered to have served a full term for purposes of term limits.

e3r4Rb

It says 6 years. If it said 2 terms it would be cut and dried in my mind, but it specifies six years

Then if the members want to elect him, knowing that he can't serve a full term, I don't know why they can't. On the other hand, it could be argued that you can't elect him to a term that he can't serve. I guess you'll have to figure this one out for yourselves. But stay tuned for other opinions.

Archived