The Official RONR Q & A Forums

changing old minute

Guest Daniel

Can statements or motions be removed from previously approved minutes that the body agree should not have been inserted in the first place with no trace of it is ever being inserted.

No. The most that can be done (and it would be a very rare occurrence) is to have a line drawn through the offending text. See p.310.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that the "no" in post #2 was wrong, and I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was. But I would think the situation described on page 310 would apply in one case, and ASPA would apply in the other. I thought perhaps the original poster would appreciate the difference, especially whereas the voting thresholds differ. Just trying to discuss RONR. Sorry. :unsure:

Does that last phrase mean the items were put in the minutes erroneously, or that they were properly added at first but the assembly now finds those items objectionable?

Does it matter? Isn't the answer still "no"?

6TP27q

Just trying to discuss RONR.

I regret if my reply appeared harsher than intended. It just seemed to me that the OP wanted to know if something in approved minutes could be removed (his word), in which case it really doesn't matter why (since it can't). And while there might be two different motions (rescind and expunge vs. ASPA) with two different voting requirements, neither will result in anything being removed from the minutes. Perhaps I was concerned that your follow-up questions might give the OP false hope?

Well, if minutes previously approved are amendable via the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted, what's to prevent a motion to strike?

Nothing, and if a motion is adopted at meeting C to strike something from the minutes of meeting A that were approved at meeting B, the minutes of meeting C will include the exact wording of the motion adopted at meeting C to amend the minutes of meeting A, but the minutes of meetings A and B will not be touched (although it would not be improper to insert a marginal notation into the minutes of meeting A to note that the minutes of meeting C should be referred to for information as to the correction which was made).

Archived