The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board of Directors in non-profit organizations

Guest Georgie

We do have procedures in our Bylaws to have voice vote by the eligible voters either on conference or in person so we could change our bylaws to accommodate ballot voting. I am under the impression that Board members of non-profit organizations may not use proxy voting so my question was does the same hold true for ballot voting.

Is it correct that eligible voters on boards for non-profit organizations cannot use proxies?

I am under the impression that Board members of non-profit organizations may not use proxy voting so my question was does the same hold true for ballot voting.

FWIW, proxies and ballots are apples and oranges. In RONR-Land, the former is prohibited while the latter is quite common. (And, no, I don't mean to suggest that apples are prohibited.)

It's quite unlikely that you would need to change your bylaws to allow ballot votes.

In the first place, they're already allowed by RONR, so if they're not prohibited by some strange state regulations, then you can use them already.

And if they are prohibited in your state laws, then you would not be able to authorize them by amending your bylaws anyway. So amending your bylaws is either impossible or unnecessary, depending.

Archived