The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting by e-mail

Guest Shelley

My golf league has 115 members. Our by-laws state that members attending the October meeting are entitled to elect the officers. Also more than 50% constitutes a quorum at all board meeting. Can I send out the ballot by e-mail to get votes from the members who will not be able to attend in order to make the quorum?

My golf league has 115 members. Our by-laws state that members attending the October meeting are entitled to elect the officers. Also more than 50% constitutes a quorum at all board meeting.

Don't forget to distinguish between meetings of the general membership (which is what, presumably, the October meeting is) and meetings of the board. The quorum requirement for one is likely to be different from the quorum requirement for the other. And the board, as a board, will have no role at a meeting of the general membership.

Under Membership and Meetings it states that 25% of total membership in person, by proxy, or by phone shall constitute a quorum at general membership meetings but under Officers it states more than 50% shall constitute a quorum during an election. Can I have the members vote by proxy then or by phone then?

Archived