The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Interim President and CEO

Ajeanette

The President and CEO ('P/CEO') recently resigned from our 501c3 organization. The P/CEO also has a seat on the Board of Directors ('BOD'). We have appointed an Interim P/CEO (who is also a current staff person - if that matters), until the search is completed for a permanent P/CEO. My question is does the Interim P/CEO have the same voting rights, etc as a permament P/CEO in terms of their role on (or as it relates to) the BOD?

Our bylaws are silent on anything related to an "Interim".

Our bylaws are silent on anything related to an "Interim".

Then why did you think you could appoint one?

I would also check to see if these are two distinct offices that happened to have been held by the same person or if, in fact, the offices themselves are combined.

In any case RONR is also silent on anything related to an "Interim".

I should have made a clearer distinction between the roles. The P/CEO is a staff person (i.e. hired to run the organization), who also holds a seat on the board (which is covered in our bylaws). So my question remains...does the Interim P/CEO have the same voting rights, etc as a permament P/CEO in terms of their role on (or as it relates to) the BOD?

The P/CEO is a staff person (i.e. hired to run the organization), who also holds a seat on the board (which is covered in our bylaws). So my question remains...does the Interim P/CEO have the same voting rights, etc as a permament P/CEO in terms of their role on (or as it relates to) the BOD?

Your organization will have to make this determination. If you think the bylaws intend that any person serving in this capacity be a member of the board, then the answer is yes. If you take the "stickler" position that the bylaws don't address anything called "Interim President/CEO," then the answer is no.

Per Post #2 (RONR silent on anything Interim) - it is recommended that organizations fully contemplate these type scenarios and augment the by-laws as appropriate?

As noted, RONR already addresses a mid-term vacancy in the office of president. Beyond that, yes, an organization should adopt rules for situations that are likely to occur.

Then there is no such thing, and you did not appoint one.

AJ said this was a staff position (hired by the organization). Surely the bylaws are not required to cover all details relating to staff?

I agree that the interim person wouldn't step into the parliamentary position of their P/CEO, but I don't see how we can say the organization didn't actually hire that person.

Archived