The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw Amendment

Guest Julia

If our member organization wants to adopt new Bylaws, do I need a motion for every change? I will present the motion first to the Board, then to the general membership.

The revision John mentioned is discussed in RONR (11th ed.), p. 593ff......how notice of the proposed revision is given is almost certainaly specified in your bylaws under the Amendment article and must be followed to the letter.

In the amendment of existing bylaws that require a 2/3 majority for adoption in convention can a Resolution be presented that includes unrelated and non germain Articles of the constitution, ie dues -authority of president to fill vacancies - financial assistance to subordinate body? If adopted, each of these Articles will be ammended by a single vote.

Bill

In the amendment of existing bylaws that require a 2/3 majority for adoption in convention can a Resolution be presented that includes unrelated and non germain Articles of the constitution, ie dues -authority of president to fill vacancies - financial assistance to subordinate body? If adopted, each of these Articles will be ammended by a single vote.

Bill

Yes, but the resolution should be considered seriatim.

Considering such a resolution seriatim does not seem to me a particularly good idea.

Does this not apply?

"A revision of bylaws or a lengthy amendment involving more than one section should be considered seriatim."

RONR (11th ed.), p.593, ll. 33-35

Shmuel can answer for himself but I agree with him because RONR states "A report or long motion consisting of a series of resolutions, paragraphs, articles, or sections that are not totally separate questions can be considered by opening the different parts to debate and amendment separately, without a division of the question." RONR (11th ed.), p. 276

Mr. Burrus indicates otherwise.

Shmuel can answer for himself but I agree with him because RONR states "A report or long motion consisting of a series of resolutions, paragraphs, articles, or sections that are not totally separate questions can be considered by opening the different parts to debate and amendment separately, without a division of the question." RONR (11th ed.), p. 276

Mr. Burrus indicates otherwise.

I tend to agree, but RONR contemplates, on the following page, that a divisible question may be considered seriatim. So I'm unclear on the advice offered on Page 593. Does it apply only to "lengthy amendments" of interrelated sections?

I tend to agree, but RONR contemplates, on the following page, that a divisible question may be considered seriatim.

You're referring to where it says, "If it has been decided to consider divisible material seriatim, even if the material was divisible on the demand of a single member, it is too late to move or demand a division of the question." That's exactly why considering separate amendments to the constitution would not be advisable. There's no reason to have the fate of one amendment tied to the others.

So I'm unclear on the advice offered on Page 593. Does it apply only to "lengthy amendments" of interrelated sections?

The advice relating to "a lengthy amendment involving more than one section" applies to a lengthy amendment involving more than one section, not to multiple unrelated amendments. If a series of unrelated amendments is being offered in one motion, then my recommendation is that anyone who is not in favor of one of them (as offered) should demand that it be considered separately. That way is there the opportunity to offer amendments to, as well as to adopt or reject, that amendment itself.

So it's the amendment that contains more than one section, not that it involves more than one section of the bylaws—do I have that right?

No. It is one amendment that involves more than one section of the bylaws. For example, as discussed at the top of the same page (p. 593), there may be an extensive change that involves the substitution of an entire group of sections.

Archived