The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do you have to have items that are to be voted listed on the agenda?

Guest Pam D

I was told in my board meeting by our Parliamentary that we HAVE to include on our agenda anything that has to be voted on. Meaning, it has to be a separate line item under the committee name showing that we will be voting on it.

Can anyone provide the page in RONR 11th ed or RONRIB that addresses this?

I was told in my board meeting by our Parliamentary that we HAVE to include on our agenda anything that has to be voted on. Meaning, it has to be a separate line item under the committee name showing that we will be voting on it.

Why don't you ask your Parliamentary to provide this? (I'm guessing s/he won't be able to, but it might be fun to watch)

In the meantime, take a look at FAQ #14.

David is correct - nothing in RONR requires that all issues to be voted on must be on the Agenda - that's partly what "New Business" is for. It helps if the President or Secretary has a list of issues they know need to be dealt with, but that does not necessarily mean that all those items need to be listed on the Agenda. It helps in a way, but it certainly is not required.

Mind you, if you are talking about a special meeting, rather than a regular meeting, that is an entirely different matter.

No. And more to the point, neither can he.

Archived