The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper vote taken

lpschoolboard

At a meeting last night a vote was called for after the discussion period. 4 board members were present. Two voted "no" then the third member initiated another discussion period without finishing the vote. After engaging in 10 more minutes of discussion another vote was called, and this time all four members voted "yes". Was this a proper vote? Can we request a "do-over"?

Was this a proper vote?

No.

Can we request a "do-over"?

No. While it was highly improper for a member to interrupt the vote, it's too late to complain about it now. The vote stands. You may attempt to Rescind the motion at the next meeting, provided the motion has not yet been fully carried out. This requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

Additionally, you may attempt to Amend Something Previously Adopted, the "sister" motion to Rescind, if you only want to alter the adopted motion to a somewhat different form. Same requirements as noted by Mr. Martin above, although since all four members voted in favor of the "re-discussed" motion, it makes me wonder what the problem is. Apparently, everyone liked it just as it was at its final vote.

. . . since all four members voted in favor of the "re-discussed" motion, it makes me wonder what the problem is. Apparently, everyone liked it just as it was at its final vote.

Good point, which makes me wonder who the "we" are who want a "re-vote". Though I suspect that "all four members" do not constitute the entire school board (but I sure hope they constitute a quorum).

Archived