The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unanimous Support on a Voice Vote in the Minutes

Guest willarmd2

I am the secretary for my county's Republican party, and I have a question about how to record a vote in the minutes. Generally, our chairman will ask for a voice vote on all motions - first the positive, then the negative. Usually, there are not objects, and I will record something like "the vote passed unanimously" in the minutes.

Last night, we voted on a motion, and there was one negative vote. I recorded this simply as "the motion carried." However, several similar voice votes followed where the member who had cast the negative vote before simply did not give a positive or negative vote. Is it accurate for me to record this as a unanimous vote (no negative vote was cast), or does every member present have to vote in the positive for it to be considered unanimous?

I have looked through my copy of RONR and done some searching on the internet, but I couldn't find anything that addressed this. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Is it accurate for me to record this as a unanimous vote (no negative vote was cast), or does every member present have to vote in the positive for it to be considered unanimous?

Accurate? Yes.

But that confusion is the very reason the word "unanimous" should be avoided. If not a "counted vote" simply record whether the motion was adopted or lost.

I am the secretary for my county's Republican party, and I have a question about how to record a vote in the minutes. Generally, our chairman will ask for a voice vote on all motions - first the positive, then the negative. Usually, there are not objects, and I will record something like "the vote passed unanimously" in the minutes.

Last night, we voted on a motion, and there was one negative vote. I recorded this simply as "the motion carried." However, several similar voice votes followed where the member who had cast the negative vote before simply did not give a positive or negative vote. Is it accurate for me to record this as a unanimous vote (no negative vote was cast), or does every member present have to vote in the positive for it to be considered unanimous?

I have looked through my copy of RONR and done some searching on the internet, but I couldn't find anything that addressed this. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Stop making this mistake and your job will be much easier.

When I was beginning to ask about parliamentary procedure, someone named Voldemort told me that when a vote was unanimous, the number of members present must be recorded, because to rescind the motion that the vote was on would take 2/3 more votes. But you know what? He deliberately misinformed me so that I would be distracted while he tried to take over the world. But you know what? The same as with the keys to my silver Porsche!

You stated it correctly by stating "The motion carried" in the Minutes. However, when the member did not vote, he/she was abstaining - thus it would not count in the vote. So, the motion passed unanimously. However, it is as easy to simply state "The motion was carried" all the time to avoid confusion.

Archived