The Official RONR Q & A Forums

standing rules

wwdslovene

Is it normal practice for individual officers, specifically the President and Recording Secretary to also prepare a set of standing rules outlining what they believe are their usual responsibilites?

No, it's not normal practice. Nor can the officers enact standing rules without approval of the members. But they can certainly propose them, if they are members themselves.

Duties, perhaps, but not rights, powers, and responsibilities, I'd say.

I fail to see the distinction between an duty and a responsibility, and I don't think that rights and powers could not necessarily be in standing rules. For instance, there could be a rule stating that the Treasurer must allow the President access to the financial records on one day of notice; in my mind this creates a right of the President and a duty (or responsibility) of the Treasurer.

I fail to see the distinction between an duty and a responsibility, and I don't think that rights and powers could not necessarily be in standing rules. For instance, there could be a rule stating that the Treasurer must allow the President access to the financial records on one day of notice; in my mind this creates a right of the President and a duty (or responsibility) of the Treasurer.

But the question wasn't whether the board could create standing rules, but whether the president and secretary could. And the answer is that they have no more, nor less power, than any member to do so--or rather to move that such a rule be adopted.

But the question wasn't whether the board could create standing rules, but whether the president and secretary could. And the answer is that they have no more, nor less power, than any member to do so--or rather to move that such a rule be adopted.

Perhaps we interpret the word 'prepare' differently, then. I can prepare standing rules for the Orchid Fanciers' Society (or whichever one that is again), but that doesn't mean they have to adopt them. Or even read them.

Archived